Friday, December 5, 2008

Ironman

The latest rumor is that St. George will be getting an official Ironman Triathlon in 2010. So what does that mean to me? The Ironman name has become synonymous with the pinnacle of athletic endurance. Ironman finishers proudly lay claim to being among the fittest athletes in the world. Ironman events consist of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112-mile bike, and a 26.2 mile marathon run. I could achieve this notable accomplishment without having to leave my own backyard.
.

Everyone has to handle their midlife crisis their own way. Ironman is slightly safer than climbing Mt. Everest and less expensive. Training for the event would help motivate me to stay in shape. The question is, at what point do these events go beyond "just staying in shape" to become a time-wasting, health-threatening, narcissistic endeavor?
.
Right now I have a young family, a busy career, and ecclesiastical obligations. However, I am not getting any younger. If I ever do an Ironman Triathlon, it won't be easier if I wait. I have always believed in making the most out of life. However, many of the "great and famous" of this world have tragically failed in the aspects of their lives that were the most important in order to succeed at the trivial. Can a person adequately train for the Ironman and still give due attention to family, church, and career?
.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

2010? You'd probably have to start training soon if you wanted to get to the start line uninjured. How much distance swimming have you done? I know people that don't have your self-discpline or talent for endurance that have completed one. But my buddies that have done it tell me it's a (ballpark) 3-4 hr/day commitment 5-6 days a week once you get into shape to train for the three disciplines.

Intriguing. Call me.

Anonymous said...

no......mom

Anonymous said...

Ask your bishop. I think he'd tell you no.

Anonymous said...

Oops. That was me, Sarah under Clint's sign in :).

Womb Nanny said...

well since you didn't train for the marathon and then ran in anyways, I don't think anyone could stop you if you decided to do this.

Sarah said...

Wouldn't it be great if we could fit everything into life that we wanted? Unfortunately, you already have a lot on your plate, so for Kristen's sake, I would have to say no. But maybe you could con your Stake Pres. into releasing you early for training purposes. :-)

Gina and Jon said...

I think you would do great!! I would come watch for sure. Maybe we can get Jon to join you.

DMom said...

I am in the Strengthening Marriage class which has an inspired manual compiled by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. It states that a husband's exercise program is not an personal decision - but one that should prayerfully, thoughtfully, and carefully be evaluated by both spouses. I have not shared this information with your father-in-law because he would consider it a misprint.

Kamille said...

Ironman, huh? That would be some feat. I have an uncle who did his first when he was 53. You'll have to decide, and it is a crazy time commitment. What does Kristen think? Speaking of Everest, though, amd reading the best book about it, Into Thin Air. Totally awesome! Jan. 11th. It's coming too soon.

Jennifer B. said...

What an opportunity and what a good question.

Sounds like it would have to be a family commitment so I don't have an answer for you.

Wendy said...

I'm with Mom. I would recommend the SHAC triathlon. That or Everest. :) And how can you be having a midlife crisis? You are barely older than me!

Clark said...

If there was ever an Ironman... you would be it. I'll give you an ironman trophy... the requirements for my competition are much less time consuming. 10 Mile drive...3 Bowls of Los Hermanos Salsa... One large brick oven pizza...then a marathon of games... all in one day. And to help with your midlife crisis... I'll let you pay... so you feel sucessful. (j/k i'll pay)

Tylershark said...

Clark - Deal. I like your idea.

Bethany said...

I've been thinking the same exact thing for some time now, and I'm still not sure. Nate and I are doing our first triathlon, but it's a super short sprint. You should join us on that one. I think some day I'll at least do a half ironman -- at least that one is more doable with a family, and a myriad of other obligations.

Let me know what you figure out.

Oh, and awesome job on the cabin -- I just went through the whole process on your other blog. Wow!

Oh yea, congratulations, and tell Kristen I hope she's feeling good!

Zack said...

So what's the final verdict?