Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Grand Canyon

For Labor Day, we took a trip to the Grand Canyon.
.
It was a last minute decision, so the kids didn't have time to object.
.
.
.
This was April's first big adventure.
.
The obligatory family photo at the edge. The only thing we were missing on the trip was the family station wagon with fake wood panelling.
.
There was actually a lack of vacationing families at the grand canyon. Visitors consisted mostly of couples in their 50's & 60's, and foreigners.
.
Our kids got many admiring looks from the childless travelers.
.
How can you not admire this?
.
We kept a close eye on Bryce near the edges.
.
Overall, the Grand Canyon was worth seeing... once.
.
We have been on some pretty amazing hikes in the last few years, so we weren't easily impressed. Also, there is too much Mule dung on the trail. My vote is, if you can't hike down on foot, take a helicopter. The mules pollute too much.
.
.
Kristen hates it when I take these shots. I love them.
.
Carter did his best to save this tree.
.
One last vista.
.

10 comments:

Bethany said...

Beautiful! We had the fake wood-paneled station wagon growing up. Those things are classics.

Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

Oops. I clicked twice.

Jennifer B. said...

Ooooh. Love it!

Jessica said...

North Rim, that was your problem

Kamille said...

Did you ever put a picture in at the fair? I'm interested to see what happened if you did! That last picture on your post was another good-un. Nice work. (I'm too nervous about my kiddles on the edge of a ginormous canyon to go until they are older. Eeek!)

Papa said...

Glad you are home safe. I was retro worried seeing Bryce and his siblings so close to what appeared to be the edge. Great memories.

Sarah said...

Fun trip. Our neighbor has a fake wood-panelled minivan. Samantha told me it was ugly.

Chris said...

Thanks Tyler. I am literally sitting here in Arizona packed up ready to hike the Grand Canyon Sunday morning and I read your comments that the Grand Canyon is just OK and worth seeing once only. My excitement level just dropped a couple notches.

Tylershark said...

It's probably better down at the bottom of the canyon. There are springs, a river, etc. You'll have fun. Just standing at the edge is so-so.