Friday, July 20, 2007

Potter Spoilers


Warning!!! Achtung!!! Adviso!!!

Tomorrow is the official release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. However, children in New Zealand are already aware of Harry's fate. I'm not, at least not yet. I don't really have any spoilers, but I thought the blog title would get your attention.

Last Saturday I saw the latest Potter movie and this week I re-read book 6 in preparation for tomorrow. I'm not normally a big recreational reader, but there is something about Harry Potter that is different. Maybe it's because magic school is a lot like medical school and residency. Or, maybe my monthly PPI's with the stake president remind me of Harry's visits to Dumbledore's office. There is also an anesthesia tech at work who is grumpy and tries to make the anesthesiologists miserable like himself; I call him Filch.

I have ideas of what may or may not happen in book 7. I think Snape is good. I think Harry lives. But who knows. I just hope I don't feel betrayed by Rowling in the end. A bad book 7 would ruin the series in my mind. I know Rowling likes to teach kids hard lessons, but if I want to see the hardness of life, I'll watch the news. We are already surrounded by negativity on all sides. The last thing I want from my recreational reading is pessimism. We need more heroes. We need more Captain Moroni's.

So will you be reading book 7 this next week? Do you care what happens to our friends at Hogwarts?

12 comments:

DMom said...

I need to borrow all your Potter series - the DVD's, not the books. I have 4 books to read before Aug 21st. I figure you have to cheat somewhere.
Let us know when you are going to the movie.

Tylershark said...

We saw the movie already, but I'd go again.

Zack said...

You crack me up as always. Your commentary about Book 7, pessimism, etc. echo my sentiments exactly.

Gina and Jon said...

Jon and I are headed to Barnes and Nobles for the mid-night delivery of the 7th book tonight!

Kristen said...

I will not be reading book 7 this week. I am still working on book 5, which I have been reading for several weeks now. For some reason every time I sit down to read I fall asleep.

Hmmm...

Michelle S. said...

My house was silent Saturday. People were reading Potter books. We have 2 book 7's, and the rest of the family were refreshing their memories with previous books. I am currently on page 57 of book 7. I read in the middle of the night to occupy my insomnia time, which works out nicely because the book is available.

Jessica said...

Ike is currently finishing the book. We are in San Diego and Dallin, Brick and I did attend the midnight Barnes and Noble madness. Ike has been reading furiously ever since, he is afraid of running into a child/deacon who will blow it for him. I am on page 138. Best thing ever, I do not understand the people who are not apart of the Phenom!!!

Zack said...

I finished the book "LATE" Saturday night, also out of sheer terror of the Deacons in my ward(there are SO many reasons to be afraid of Deacons in general, aren't there??? ;))

The book was as fantastic and surprising as I expected it to be.

Tylershark said...

I'm finished. Good book.

Anonymous said...

I finished too. I loved it.... and all my theories were true!

Jennifer B. said...

Loved it. Three predictions of mine were correct.

Anonymous said...

What an enjoyable read. A good book is like a vacation to me. Your blog is also. mom