The 2008 St. George Marathon was held yesterday. Earlier in the week the forecast predicated an 80% chance of thunderstorms and I was content with my decision not to register and run this year.
Our friends the Callisters registered to run and arranged to stay with us several months ago. We had looked forward to their visit and had planned to host and support them in their adventure. When they arrived on Friday night, we learned that Nate had injured his knee while training and would not be running with Bethany. He had picked up his number, but had no intention of using it. He offered it to me and I considered my options.
I am always up for a challenge. David & Emily and Jonathan & Gina were visiting that night and they laughed at the prospect of running last minute with zero preparation. Of course, that just encouraged me. I like a good dare. I would be running anonymously with no particular goals. I could drop out at any time without any shame. I finished my "dairy loading" with a big bowl of ice cream and went to bed.
We arose early and made it to the starting line. Rain fell the entire race. Within the first mile, my shorts were as wet as if I had been swimming. Despite the rain, I felt good. Because I had just finished an 88 hour work week and had not trained a bit, I knew I had to pace myself. After an hour of running, I tried the run 4 minutes walk 1 minute method. I kept that up for the next hour and I got to the halfway point under 2 hours. I stopped to take a picture with my phone and I tried to send it to Clint Cresap.
Over the second half of the race I bumped into several different friends. We would chat for a moment, run together for a mile or so, then go our separate ways. I called Kristen and a few friends during the race. It kept me from getting bored. The wind and rain started taking its toll by mile 20. I was wearing next to nothing and my teeth were chattering. I was as sore from shivering as I was from running. I really wanted to quit. I called Kristen and asked her to bring me warm clothes at the 23.5 mile. I put on the sweats, changed my socks, and suddenly I felt much better and was able to run the final 2.7 miles.
I got my worst time, but I still managed to finish under 5 hours. More important than that however, I got my finisher's medal.
.
Our friends the Callisters registered to run and arranged to stay with us several months ago. We had looked forward to their visit and had planned to host and support them in their adventure. When they arrived on Friday night, we learned that Nate had injured his knee while training and would not be running with Bethany. He had picked up his number, but had no intention of using it. He offered it to me and I considered my options.
I am always up for a challenge. David & Emily and Jonathan & Gina were visiting that night and they laughed at the prospect of running last minute with zero preparation. Of course, that just encouraged me. I like a good dare. I would be running anonymously with no particular goals. I could drop out at any time without any shame. I finished my "dairy loading" with a big bowl of ice cream and went to bed.
We arose early and made it to the starting line. Rain fell the entire race. Within the first mile, my shorts were as wet as if I had been swimming. Despite the rain, I felt good. Because I had just finished an 88 hour work week and had not trained a bit, I knew I had to pace myself. After an hour of running, I tried the run 4 minutes walk 1 minute method. I kept that up for the next hour and I got to the halfway point under 2 hours. I stopped to take a picture with my phone and I tried to send it to Clint Cresap.
.
Over the second half of the race I bumped into several different friends. We would chat for a moment, run together for a mile or so, then go our separate ways. I called Kristen and a few friends during the race. It kept me from getting bored. The wind and rain started taking its toll by mile 20. I was wearing next to nothing and my teeth were chattering. I was as sore from shivering as I was from running. I really wanted to quit. I called Kristen and asked her to bring me warm clothes at the 23.5 mile. I put on the sweats, changed my socks, and suddenly I felt much better and was able to run the final 2.7 miles.I got my worst time, but I still managed to finish under 5 hours. More important than that however, I got my finisher's medal.
.
14 comments:
Tyler, you're awesome. Congrats on being amazing and on finishing. We love you!
Way to go Dr. N. I can't believe you did that. I'm glad though, it was fun to run with you for a minute or so.
Way to go I think that you where the only one from the hospital that I did not run into. The rain was not fun at all I am just glad that I was able to finally run the marathon. Way to go.
An impromptu marathon? That is amazing!
Absolutely incredible! You are one who doesn't fit the saying - "youth is wasted on the young" - because you certainly make the most of it.
Crazy. Complete nut job. Stud, though. Definition of your fitness: able, without preparation, to run and warn about the incoming Persians.
Nice half time, especially for the crap conditions. What did we hit the half at two years ago? I think that your unprepared two hour first half was faster than our prepared first half.
And I'm sore after running 4 miles at lunch today.
Congratulations!
You're incredible. Plus, I'm glad you got to add another pretty medal to your collection.
I'm still hugely impressed -- your impromptu time beat my very trained for time -- way to go!! (And thanks again for hosting us -- it was great to see you guys again.)
Can I just say Amazing!! I love that you just got out there and did it, and I'm glad I got to see you at the finishing line! Congrats!
I tell everyone at work that my brother is cooler than their brother. I mean who runs an impromptu marathon... I was too lazy last saturday to even get up early to surf... and the weather was lovely.
You are a brat--you know I think this, though. However, I should thank you for taking care of Miss Ashley for a while; I understand that she was struggling to overcome her mental walls. I love that most of your pics have you on the phone. Later.
OH YES..IAM INSPIRED. love,mom
Nice job Tyler. Although I have to admit that I am a bit envious. If I trained for a long time I don't think I could even finish a Marathon yet alone run one impromptu. You inspire me.
I'm just thinking of other things I can dare you to do...
Post a Comment