Monday, May 11, 2009

What's Cookin'?

I've recently tried cooking more. I can already make a few things, but I want to get better. This past week or so, I've made the following things:
.
Chili. I got the main recipe/concept from someone at work who's chili I had tried a few months ago. I made my first batch this week with success. It is already my favorite chili now, but I believe a few minor changes will make it even better next time. I am just waiting for my family to be ready for another batch before I try the improvements.
.
Cheesecake. I looked at several recipes, but finally went with Better Homes & Garden. I used some lemon juice rather than lemon peel. It turned out delicious. Next time I will add a little more lemon juice for kick. Also the cheesecake was good the first day, but fantastic the second. Next time I'll make it the day before I want to eat it. The crust was softer and had a better taste the second day.
.
Popovers. They turned out fine. They were good, but not great. They had a lot to live up to though. I have very fond childhood memories of my older sisters making popovers at home and also eating popovers at Maxwell's by the Huntington Beach Pier. Maybe next time I'll use 6 oz. popover cups rather than 4 oz. muffin tins.
.
Rolo Cookies. Simple and delicious. Spencer voted for the peanut butter cookie shell rather than chocolate/cocoa (pictured). They are easy to make and even easier to eat. Baking tip: use frozen rolos.
.
Shish Kabob. We had friends over for a barbecue and we thought burgers and dogs would be too dull by themselves. The shish kabobs turned out better than I hoped. I think the trick was using good meat. Also, teriyaki is my marinade of choice.
.
I am interested in learning your best recipes. Send me your ideas and secrets. Before you send them in, just know my general philosophy is "unless you are talking about your abs, you never impress people with low fat."
.

10 comments:

DMom said...

I am so impressed! I know first-hand that your chili was delicious but will just have to take your word on the other culinary creations. We have a Food Network star in the making.

Clint C. said...

Amazing. I wish I didn't care about low-fat. Then maybe I could cook some really delicious things.
Take it from someone that doesn't know much that adding more lemon juice to your cheesecake will probably make it bitter rather than more tart. That's what happens with lemon squares. If you want more tart you can experiment with adding lime or key lime juice.

Natalie S. said...

That looks delicious. Will you send me the recipes for when I go to college?

Tylershark said...

DMom- We'll have you over when I perfect these recipes.

Sarah- Thanks for the lime tip.

Natalie- You bet. I'm typing them all onto the computer now.

Carrie Stuart said...

We discovered Rolo cookies a couple of years ago...yum!

Thanks for the popover memory...my mom used to make these...total yum...with blackberry jam. And yes,you will have better luck with the popover pans. They are a must.

Jennifer B. said...

Wow. Sounds good Chef! I'd love your recipes. Maybe we could swap? I'll think about what I have that's trade-worthy.

Nice work. (Did you take the photos too?)

Anonymous said...

We would like to make reservations at your 5 star home and resturant. You are talented and I know you clean up when you are finished cooking... which qualifies you for truly amazing. mom

Sarah said...

I'm impressed! I agree - cheesecake is always better on the 2nd or even 3rd day. I would also like your rolo cookie recipe when you have a chance.

Zack said...

Tyler ... I have a killer Cheesecake recipe that I found in a dessert cookbook we got a while back ... it's a chocolate-themed cheesecake and is SUPER rich and decidedly NOT low-fat. In fact, about a 1 1/2-inch slice will probably be more than most people can handle. Lemme know if you're still interested in the recipe after that description. :D

Zack said...

That cheesecake recipe I have is also most definitely better the 2nd and 3rd day than it is the first, btw...